Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu- 1cup
Small onion -10(or) Big onion – 1
Ginger -1 inch piece
Curry leaves - little
Asafetida -2 pinches
Water-(less than) approx 1/4 cup
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour at least. (Use whole urad dal without skin).
- Grind urad dal with only little water till fluffy. Please note the following points:
a) Add urad dal little by little(no water),while the grinder is running.
b)Just sprinkle water now and then to avoid jamming of the grinder.
c)Stand near till you finish grinding for sprinkling water now and then and wipe the urad dal that sticks to the wall of the grinder container.
d)This whole process takes around 12-15 minutes,you will get a fluffy white batter.
- Now chop onions,ginger,green chillies,coriander and curry leaves and add all these to the batter along with salt and asafetida
- Now mix well,keep aside and heat enough oil in kadai (be generous or else vadas may stick to the bottom and get burnt).
- Now wet your right hand well and make a small ball and use ur thumb to make hole in the middle and drop it in oil,
- Fry in medium flame,turn the vadais and fry till both the sides turn crisp and golden brown.