This is a very quick breakfast or snack dish, if you have aval at your hand.It can be eat as it is.No side dish is required.Aval is called flattened rice in english and poho in hindi
Aval- 2 cups
Mustard seed-1/2 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder-1 teaspoon
Pepper powder-1 teaspoon
Red chilli-2 or 3
1. In a bowl, wash and soak the aval with just enough water to cover it and set it aside for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes drain the water from the aval
2. Take a pan, heat some cooking oil, add mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter. After the mustard splutters, add urad dhal, dried red chilli and curry leaves and fry until the urad dhal turns light golden brown in color.
3. Add the pepper powder,cumin powder and salt in the pan.
4. Add the softened aval, mix everything well and turn off the stove after 2 minutes.
5. Aval upma is ready in 5 minutes.