Maida (all purpose flour)-1Cup
Channa dal-1/2 cup
grated coconut-1/2 cup
Method for making Pooranam:
- Soak channa dal for about 4 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook channa dal upto 3 whistles, cool down and grind it in a Mixer/Blender in to a paste and keep aside
- Take jaggerry in a heavy bottomed vessel and pour enough water to immerse jaggery. Heat the vessal to allow the jaggerry to boil, at one stage the jaggerry water will get frothy.
- Add the ground dal paste and coconut. Stir continuously without forming any lumps.
- Add cardamom powder and mix throughly. Keep stirring well untill the mixture starts leaving the sides of the vessel.
- Now the Poorama is ready.
- Mix oil and salt in the flour and mix throughly.
- Add lukke warm milk and made in to a smooth dough.
- Take lemon size dough and Roll the dough ball to a thick adai and place small lemon size pooranam inside the dough and cover it fully.
- Roll carefully till the dough spreads and covers the pooranam as a thin layer.
- Heat tawa and grease with ghee/oil and cook on both sides till golden brown on both sides of the poli.
- Now Poli is ready to serve